A side-impact collision in any accident can be terrifying and damaging. However, a T-bone accident with a semi-truck, likely 10 times larger and heavier than a regular passenger vehicle, can be catastrophic. In 2017, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reported 4,889 large trucks and buses were involved in fatal crashes, a 9% increase from 2016.
How much is your case worth?Get a free case evaluation
What is a Semi-Truck T-Bone Accident?
Side-collision accidents are referred to as T-bone accidents because they form a T shape when one vehicle collides into the other. The side of vehicles have very little protection and, in many cases, T-bone accidents are devastating.
This type of accidents occurs primarily at an intersection when one of the drivers fails to stop at a traffic light or a stop sign. Semi-truck T-bone accidents also occur when a driver refuses to yield the right-of-way to another driver. Semi-truck T-bone accidents can occur when:
- A driver runs a red light, a leading cause of T-bone accidents
- There is a failure to yield to other motorists in a four-way stop
- The driver or drivers are distracted
- A driver turns across traffic lames
- A driver fails to assess oncoming traffic when they are making a right turn at an intersection
- A driver is aggressive or driving recklessly
- Someone is driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Brake or steering systems fail
Get Advice from a Semi-Truck Accident Attorney
The injuries that result from semi-truck T-bone accidents can be life-threatening and lifelong. T-bone accident claims can be complex, especially when trying to establish liability. Negligence has to be proven, which requires experience, time and resources. An experienced truck accident attorney will ensure you get the compensation you deserve for past, present and future lost wages and medical bills.
Speak to a truck accident lawyer at Avrek Law Firm for a free consultation – call our office or fill out our online form to schedule a free case evaluation today!