How much is your case worth?Get a free case evaluation
Bicycle fatalities are on the rise according to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Although most bike accidents involve adults, about 11% of bike accidents involve children, and rural roads also account to almost half of cyclists’ deaths. Eighty percent of the accidents involving adults occur during the day while the percentage increases to 90% for a child. However more fatal bike accidents often occur when it’s dark.
Most Common Causes of Bike Accidents
Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents are:
- Excessive speeding
- Bike manufacturing and design defects
- Violation of traffic signals, signs and rules
- A bike’s failure to yield
- A car driver turning right into the bicycle’s path without indicating. The bicycle is usually traveling in the same direction as the car.
- A car driver rear-ends a cyclist.
- A car turning left into an oncoming bicycle’s path
- A driver opens the car door in front of a bike
Common Injuries From Bike Accidents
Some of the most common injuries sustained from a bike accident include:
Head Injuries When a bike accident occurs, most cyclists get thrown from the bicycle with little or no control on where they land and they are more likely to sustain head injuries more than any other injuries.
Brain Injuries Brain injuries vary from a concussion to a traumatic brain injury. A traumatic brain injury could cause memory loss or permanent disability, as well as limiting bodily functions.
Spinal Cord Injuries Cyclists are vulnerable to head, neck and back injuries, as there isn’t any barrier in case of an accident.
Facial Injuries A cyclist could suffer a broken nose, chipped teeth, broken jaw and damage or complete loss of eyesight.
Bone Fractures and Broken Bones Most bones in the neck, shoulders, arms, back, hips and legs are likely to break or suffer fractures during a bike accident. These injuries require intensive physical therapy and rehabilitation to recover.
What To Do After a Bike Accident
It’s unfortunate to be involved in a bike accident, but how you react after could impact how you recover from the most common bike injuries, damages on your bike and the outcome of your claim. It is highly advisable to speak with the best personal injury attorneys in Orange County, Avrek Law, at this time.
After a crash, it’s important to keep calm and follow these steps.
- Seek medical attention if needed,
- Call and wait for the police to arrive at the scene of the accident so that they can make and file a police report.
- Once you leave or flee the accident scene, it becomes hard to identify who was at fault.
- Try to remember as much as possible when explaining the series of events leading to the accident.
- Report all your injuries, however minor they may seem to you.
- Obtain the correct contact information of witnesses and other parties involved in the bike accident.
- Gather as much information like phone numbers, address, vehicle registration number and insurance information.
- Document details on the accident and the injuries sustained, including information on what happened during the bike incident and how it happened.
- It’s also important to remember other factors that might have contributed to the accident like weather, the condition of the road and traffic.
- If possible, take pictures of all your injuries and write down your symptoms.
- Preserve the evidence by your bike and any other damaged property in place after the accident.
- Take pictures of the scene and the damaged items.
It important that you contact an attorney for legal assistance.
Safe Cycling Tips in Orange County
- Maintain a distance from vehicles and other objects on the road.
- Always use both the front and rear lights when cycling
- Ensure you have a helmet on at all times
- Wear bright or reflective clothing
- Use a reflecting material when cycling at night
- Avoid riding against traffic
- Know the California bike helmet law
What Is My Bike Accident Claim Worth?
Most bike accident victims usually want to find out the worth of their claim, but this is a difficult question to answer until you have contacted an experienced attorney to assess your case..
If you get into an accident, bike accident compensation typically includes:
- Property damage
- Lost wages and lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Hospital expenses, medical bills and any expected future medical costs
Contact the Best Orange County Bicycle Accident Attorney Today!
If you’ve been involved in any kind of bicycle accident, contact Avrek Law today. With more than 50 years of combined experience, Avrek is here to help you. You may be entitled to a large settlement, and our experienced Orange County car accident lawyer team will help you understand your options and ensure you receive the full compensation you deserve. We have recovered more than $1 billion in more than 45,000 cases, and with a free consultation, you have nothing to lose. View our numerous locations here, and contact us today!