Roads are getting more congested daily in OC. People are continually switching to cycling as it is more eco-friendly and a free way to get around town. An increased number of bicycles on the road unfortunately mean a likely increase in the number of accidents involving bicycles.
Bicycle fatalities are on the rise according to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Although most bike accidents involve adults, about 11% of bike accidents involve children.
Rural roads also account to almost half of cyclists’ deaths.
80% of the accidents involving adults occur during the day while the percentage increases to 90% for a child.
However more fatal bike accidents often occur when it’s dark.
Most Common Causes of Bike Accidents
Most common causes are:
- Excessive speeding
- Bike manufacturing and design defects
- Violation of traffic signals, signs and rules
- A bike’s failure to yield
- A car driver turning right into the bicycle’s path without indicating. The bicycle is usually traveling in the same direction as the car.
- A car driver rear-ends a cyclist.
- A car turning left into an oncoming bicycle’s path
- A driver opens the car door in front of a bike
Common Injuries From Bike Accidents
The following are the most common injuries sustained from a bike accident
When a bike accident occurs most cyclists get thrown from the bicycle with little or no control on where they land and they are more likely to sustain head injuries more than any other injuries.
Brain injuries vary from a concussion to a traumatic brain injury. A traumatic brain injury could cause memory loss, permanent disability as well as limiting bodily functions.
Spinal cord injuries
Cyclists are vulnerable to head, neck and back injuries as there isn’t any barrier in case of an accident.
A cyclist could suffer a broken nose, chipped teeth, broken jaw and damage or complete loss of eyesight.
Bone fractures and broken bones
Most bones in the neck, shoulders, arms, back, hips and legs are likely to break or suffer fractures during a bike accident. These injuries require intensive physical therapy and rehabilitation to recover.
What To Do After a Bike Accident
It’s unfortunate to be involved in a bike accident but how you react after could impact how you recover from your injuries, damages on your bike and the outcome of your claim.
It’s important to keep calm after the crash and follow the following steps.
- Seek medical attention if need be.
- Call and wait for the police to arrive at the scene of the accident so that they can make and file a police report.
- Once you leave or flee the accident scene it becomes hard to identify who was at fault.
- Try to remember as much as possible when explaining the series of events leading to the accident.
- Report all your injuries however minor they may seem to you.
- Obtain the correct contact information of witnesses and other parties involved in the bike accident.
- Gather as much information like phone numbers, address, vehicle registration number and insurance information.
- Document details on the accident and the injuries sustained.
- This includes information on what happened during the bike incident and how it happened.
- It’s also important to remember other factors that might have contributed to the accident like weather, the condition of the road and traffic.
- If possible take pictures of all your injuries and write down your symptoms.
- Preserve the evidence by your bike and any other damaged property in place after the accident.
- Take pictures of the scene and the damaged items.
It important that you contact an attorney for legal assistance.
Safe Cycling Tips in Orange County
- Maintain a distance from vehicles and other objects on the road.
- Always use both the front and rear lights when cycling
- Ensure you have a helmet on at all times
- Wear bright or reflective clothing
- Use a reflecting material when cycling at night
- Avoid riding against traffic
Why Hire Avrek Law
In case you are involved in a bike accident contact our experienced bike accident lawyers. We will help you pursue a personal injury claim as well as ensure to protect your legal rights.
Call us today for a free consultation.
What Is My Bike Accident Claim Worth?
Most bike accident victims usually want to find out the worth of their claim. Orange County Bike Accident Lawyers.
This is a difficult question to answer until you have contacted our staff at Avrek Law and we know the details of your case.
If you get into a bike accident you are typically eligible to be compensated for:
- Property damage
- Lost wages and lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Hospital expenses, medical bills and any expected future medical costs