Skip to Content

What to do when Injured after a Minor Car Accident

What to do when Injured after a Minor Car Accident

Minor car blunders— due to silly mistakes or just bad luck— happen all the time. Minor car accidents commonly occur in driveways and parking lots. Although personal injuries don’t really happen in minor accidents, they can still cause damage to your vehicles that may require expensive repairs.

What to do when Injured after a Minor Car AccidentTo cover the cost of repairs, you have the option of filing a personal injury claim.

Here’s what you need to know:

Right After the Car Accident:

Check for Injuries

Injuries aren’t common in slow-moving collisions but they can happen, so give yourself and your passengers a quick check to see if you’ve incurred any injuries.

Keep An Eye Out For Sparks or Fire

If something smells off or you notice smoke, move as far away from your car possible. A leaking gas tank and a smoking engine may cause a fire.

Don’t Block the Traffic

It’s not right for you to block the traffic because of a minor accident, so move your vehicle to the side of the road and ask the other driver to do the same.

Remain Calm

People tend to go into shock no matter how big or small the accident is. They can also get angry but no matter how bad the damage, it’s best to not get emotional. Don’t attack the other driver and don’t apologize either.

Get Contact and Insurance Policy Information

Getting the other driver’s information is crucial. Ask them for their phone number and email address. Take a photo of their license and number plate. If there are witnesses around, note down their information too.

Call the Police

No matter how big or small the accident is it’s better to call the police and make a report. Some states demand that the repairs cost above a certain value for the driver to call the police but there are insurance companies that ask for police reports.

If you weren’t at fault, it’s best to have your bases covered and get a police report made.

After the Accident

Contact Your Insurance Provider

Even when the accident isn’t your fault, you should report it to your insurance company. Contrary to what some believe, the rate of your insurance policy wouldn’t automatically shoot up. The insurance company will look at whose fault the accident was as well the cost of repairs.

Follow Up

If you’ve dealt with insurance companies before, you know that they take their time to settle claims. To move the process along and build your case, contact the police or the highway patrol and ask for a copy of the report.

Every state in the country demands that drivers have insurance but if you happen to have an accident with someone who’s uninsured, consider taking them to a small claims court.

In the scenario that you hold an uninsured or underinsured motorist insurance, you have the right to file a claim against your insurance company.

Hire a Car Accident Attorney

Even with minor accidents, all the paperwork and running back and forth from your insurance provider, is time consuming. Hiring a car accident attorney can make your life a lot easier. They’ll charge a small fee for their services but will ensure that you get the compensation you deserve.

Avrek Law is a law firm that specializes in car accident and personal injury claims. It represents victims of car accidents and personal injuries in court and helps them receive the compensation for the damages they’ve incurred.

Contact them at 866-598-5548  for more information.

Request Free Consultation

Avrek Law Firm's legal team, led by attorney Maryam Parman

Injured? Choose the Best

866-598-5548Available 24/7
Se Habla Español