What Happens If I Was Injured In a Taxi Cab Accident
Residents and visitors of California still use taxi cabs all the time, either to or from the airport, or to avoid driving after drinking alcohol.
Millions of people get hurt and hundreds of thousands die each year as a result of car accidents and sometimes they happen when they are traveling in a taxi.
Injuries that occur in a taxi cab crash are not always serious, but in the worst cases, these collisions can result in permanent injuries that can disrupt your life or can result in death.
Unfortunately, many lives are shattered in an instant due to the negligence or recklessness of a taxi driver or other drivers on the road.
Here Are Some Facts About Taxi Cab Accidents:
- There is a solid connection between a driver’s crash rate and his salary. As indicated by a study, the higher the drivers’ salaries, the lower the crash rates are; on the other hand, when the US was on recession—which likewise brought down the earnings of taxi drivers—the crash rates altogether expanded.
- Passengers without safety belts are twice more inclined to experience the ill effects of deadly or general wounds when compared to belted travelers.
- Even with wellbeing limitations, taxi travelers have higher harm rates contrasted with particular car travelers. Specialists trust that this pattern is connected to the nearness of parcel in many taxicabs.
- Driving for over eight hours a day fundamentally lessens the drivers’ reaction time. This finding is upheld by a review demonstrating that more than two million crashes in 2008 were credited to driver weariness.
- Texting drivers are 20 times more prone to crash when compared to individuals who are not utilizing any specialized gadget. With this finding, the government of California has as of late passed a law that disallows drivers of business vehicles (e.g. cabs, transports, and trucks) to work any specialized gadget utilized as a part of sending, composing, or perusing messages.
- Novice and low-maintenance drivers have the most exceedingly awful driving record; they were additionally 5.5 times more inclined to submit to petty criminal offense contrasted with experienced, full-time drivers.
- Drivers who own their taxicabs and drive full-time are better behaved than those who are renting their taxis.
Common Accidents Involving Taxi Cabs
Driving Distracted. Distraction at the wheel is one of the problems which causes more accidents around the world. Most often, the taxi driver is distracted while talking on the cell phone, texting, or eating.
Driving at high speeds. Many taxi drivers ignore speed limits and end up losing control of the cab.
Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. Drinking or using drugs profoundly affects concentration, decreases reflexes and alters perception.
Driving recklessly. The biggest problem is aggressive taxi drivers who change lanes too fast, those who do not respect the safety distance and end up causing a rear-end collisions and those who make inappropriate turns without using the flashing lights.
The presence of rain, ice or snow on the road. Many accidents occur when weather conditions deteriorate, as tires lose grip and it is more difficult to maintain the direction of the cab. Closed curves and mountain roads are the places that represent the greatest dangers, especially for inexperienced taxi drivers.
Ignoring traffic signs. Passing a red light, whether by carelessness or reckless driving, is one of the most common infractions that gives rise to accidents.
Driving during the night. At night the road is more dangerous, as visibility decreases considerably.
Unsafe lane changes. One of the most dangerous blind spots of the car affects precisely the change of lane because during a few seconds, the car that is at your side trying to overtake you, disappears from your field of vision.
Fatigued driving. Fatigue is one of the major causes of accidents, especially when long trips are necessary.
Problems with the tires. Each year more and more drivers postpone the maintenance of their cars and the tires are a major issue. In fact, it is estimated that in three of every four accidents caused by a defect in the vehicle, the fault was in the tires.
Common Injuries Suffered From Taxi Cab Accidents
- Spine Injuries
This type of injury occurs mainly when the taxi stops abruptly and part of the neck and the spine are subjected to a force that exceeds their capacity of resistance. When the movement is very abrupt, permanent injuries, or even death can occur.
Fractures or Broken bones
When a part of the body is struck hard, the bones may become fractured or broken, meaning a long and sometimes complicated recovery period.
- Internal injuries
They occur when the person’s body is struck so that one of their internal organs is affected. Sometimes these types of injuries may not be detected in time, but their consequences are greater than they may appear at first glance. They are usually preceded by muscle aches or chest and abdominal pain.
- Brain injury
A blow to the head can result in anything from bruising to a fractured skull. In the worst case, the damage goes directly to the brain. This can also cause death or affect the quality of life of the person going forward.
What To Do After Being in a Taxi Cab Accident
It is important to know what to do if you are involved and or injured in a taxi accident
- Call 911 if you are injured
- Take photos or video of the accident and your injuries
- Get information from any witnesses that saw what happened
- Contact a lawyer
- Contact your insurance company
Do I Need a Lawyer After a Taxi Accident?
Different rules apply in the case of taxi accidents, so it is important that you talk to an expert lawyer who knows every detail of the law.
At the Avrek Law Firm we know how to deal with insurance companies.
We will find the medical treatment you need to recover from your injuries as quickly as possible.
If you were injured while traveling as a passenger in a taxi, call the attorneys at the Avrek Law Firm.
Taxi Cab Insurance
Taxis must have liability insurance, in the same way as public transport trucks and trains.
This insurance must have the necessary coverage to cover the expenses of a car accident in case you:
- Get hit by a taxi
- Are a passenger in a taxi and injured as the result of the accident
Even the new modern-private transportation system must have an insurance policy in case of an accident.
A claim is completely viable if you happen to be injured using one of these services, or if a vehicle that offers these services causes an accident due to recklessness.
The time it takes you to file a lawsuit after the accident is of super importance in resolving your case in your favor.
What is My Taxi Cab Accident Settlement Worth?
The worth of your taxi cab accident settlement will depend of many factors such as the percentage of liability during the accident, the parties involved, etc.
Which is why it is important to seek legal guidance as soon as possible to ensure the maximum compensation.