How much is your case worth?Get a free case evaluation
What Causes Pedestrian Car Accidents?
No one walks out the door expecting to be a pedestrian hit by car, truck or bus. However, it happens often enough that pedestrians in the United States need to be aware. In 2021, more than 117,081 pedestrians were treated at the hospital for injuries sustained in a car accident.
The majority of pedestrian accidents can be attributed to driver negligence. This takes many forms, including:
- Impaired driving. A person driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is less likely to see a pedestrian or react quickly and appropriately if they do see someone in the roadway. In 2019, alcohol was a factor in nearly half of crashes that resulted in a pedestrian death.
- Failing to follow traffic laws. When drivers fail to follow the roadway laws, they put everyone around them at risk – especially those unprotected on the road. Whether it’s running a red light or making an illegal U-turn, it puts pedestrians at risk for being struck and injured.
- Speeding. The faster a car is traveling the less time they have to react to someone on the road and come to a complete stop. Higher vehicle speeds increase the likelihood of a pedestrian being struck by a car as well as the injury severity
- Distracted driving. Anything that takes the driver’s focus and attention away from the road is dangerous for pedestrians, including texting, eating or engaging with other passengers in the car.
- Faulty car equipment. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the majority of pedestrian accidents in 2021 happened between the hours of 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Dark road conditions are a major factor in whether or not a driver can see people in the roadway. If the lights on their car are not properly functioning, it can impede their vision even more.
No matter the cause, it’s important for pedestrians to understand their rights and what type of compensation they are entitled to if they are injured in an accident. Working with one of the best pedestrian accident law firms will help determine next steps.
How Do I Know If It Is a Pedestrian At Fault Car Accident?
If you are involved in an accident as a pedestrian, you must first make sure you receive the proper medical attention for your injuries. Then, you will want to contact an experienced personal injury attorney.
Determining, and then proving, who is at fault is critical to helping you receive compensation for your injuries. It can be difficult or tricky navigating accident fault determination rules and a lawyer by your side can help navigate the process.
How Do I Receive an Above Average Pedestrian Injury Settlement?
Many people wonder, “How much is my car accident settlement worth?” Settlement amounts vary depending on a variety of factors. It can range from $5,000 to upwards of $1M. While each accident is unique, the following are the most important considerations when it comes to determining settlement amount:
- Extent of injuries. Medical bills, loss of past or future lost wages and mental pain and suffering factor into settlement amounts. Unsurprisingly, the more severe the injury, the higher the settlement. A pedestrian who suffers a traumatic brain injury faces a longer, more complicated road to recovery than someone who sprained an ankle, and they should be compensated for it.
- Who is determined to be at fault. It’s important to compile evidence that the accident and injury were caused by driver negligence, including police reports, eyewitness accounts and surveillance videos.
- Insurance coverage. More often than not, insurance companies pay some if not all of pedestrian accident settlements. However, it’s important to note that a car insurance policy will only pay up to policy limits. This could be less than $50,000 depending on the state minimum for liability insurance.
At Avrek Law, we take all of the information from your accident and use extensive knowledge to come up with a strategy to get you the settlement you deserve. With more than 50 years of combined experience resolving cases in favor of clients who were wrongfully injured, Avrek Law has recovered more than $1 billion in compensation for injury victims in more than 45,000 cases. Contact us for your free consultation to learn more!