Pedestrian accidents generally occur in heavily populated areas.
However, these accidents can occur even in rural areas.
Avrek Law Firm has a great deal of experience dealing with pedestrian accidents all over San Francisco and The Bay Area.
Pedestrians can be hit by cars, buses, motorcycles, and even bicycles.
In the state of California, a driver of a vehicle is required to yield to pedestrians at marked crossings on a street or within any unmarked crosswalks at an intersection, although a pedestrian must also pay attention in these zones (California Vehicle Code Section 21950).
As of July 1, 2008, it is illegal to use a cell phone with your hands while driving a motor vehicle in the state of California (California Vehicle Code Section 23123).
If a driver gets distracted, or simply does not put enough attention on the road, they can easily have an accident that can cause serious injuries to a pedestrian.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the National Center for Statistics and Analysis:
- 61,000 pedestrians were injured in traffic accidents in 2006.
- 4,784 pedestrians died in traffic accidents in 2006.
- One pedestrian dies every 110 incidents with motor vehicles.
- A pedestrian is injured every 9 minutes.
According to police reports, the most common places for pedestrian accidents in San Francisco are the following:
- Bay and Buchanan streets
- The Woods Drive and Snell Avenue
- Polk and Ellis streets
Top Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in San Francisco
There are numerous reasons why a vehicle can hit a pedestrian.
Some examples include:
- Driving under the influence.
- Driving distracted, including texting while driving.
- Careless driving, including going faster than the speed limit or passing red lights.
- Pedestrians who do not look both ways before crossing the street.
In case you are hit by a vehicle leaving the scene, try to write down the vehicle’s plates, color, type of car, and any other details that can be used to identify it.
Common Injuries From Pedestrian Accidents
Depending on the type of accident, pedestrians involved may suffer one or more types of:
- neck or back injuries
- broken bones
- spinal cord injuries
- brain damage
- even death
A pedestrian who is injured in an accident has the right to file a claim and the family of a pedestrian killed by a vehicle is also entitled to file an unfair death suit.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, lawyers at the Avrek Law Firm understand the complexities involved in these cases.
We assure you that we will work very hard to investigate the circumstances of your case and ensure that you receive full compensation for your injuries.
Contact a Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you recently suffered injuries in a pedestrian accident, you may be able to make a personal injury claim against the driver responsible for the damage.
An attorney at the Avrek Law Firm can help you pursue the best possible outcome for your case – particularly if you sustain substantial injuries.
We’re here to help and we’ll fight the insurance companies for you.
What is My Pedestrian Accident Claim Worth?
What can you expect to receive for damages in your pedestrian accident case?
While laws vary from state to state, we have listed below some of the more common factors:
- Recover your lost wages
- Get your reimbursement for medical expenses paid out of your pocket
- Maximize benefits for temporary and/or permanent disability
- Recover compensation for damages due to physical pain and mental distress
How Long Do I Have to Take Legal Action?
After an accident, you will have a limited amount of time to pursue a lawsuit (two years under Californian legislation).
Pedestrian accidents often involve a great deal of pain, suffering, and medical expenses.
They often even result in death. Loved ones may be entitled to compensation in these cases.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a pedestrian accident, get in touch with an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer immediately so we can help you get compensation.
Is a lawyer necessary and how much does it cost?
An attorney should be contacted as soon as possible, so that you can be counseled every step of the way.
If possible, you should contact an accident lawyer while you are still at the scene of the accident.
This way, your lawyer can go to the site as soon as possible and maybe locate some witnesses around, as well as obtain some photographs of the scene that will be most effective in a courtroom.
Pedestrian Accident Checklist – What To Do After An Accident
As with any type of accident, there are certain things you should do if you are involved in a pedestrian accident, including:
- Report the accident to the authorities.
- Obtain the contact information of all those involved and witnesses.
- Obtain witness statements.
- Seek medical attention even if you do not think you are injured. After an accident, you may be in shock or have injuries you are not aware of.
- Take photos of the scene of the accident and injuries.
- Do not admit guilt.
- Write down everything that happened and remember everything about the accident as soon as possible, before your memory fades.
- Save all receipts for expenses related to the accident, including medical bills.
- Keep a journal of how the accident affects your daily life, including any physical and emotional pain or limitations.
- If your job is affected, causing you to lose time at work, change roles, or even lose your job, keep a record of this too.
- Talk to an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer right away.