Pedestrian accidents are unfortunately common.
Being hit by a car can be a traumatic experience that will, understandably, greatly alter your life.
After an accident, a lawsuit might be the furthest matter from the injured victim’s mind.
However if the accident occurred as a result of the negligence of another person, and you have suffered serious injuries, it is important to keep your legal options open.
At Avrek Law Firm we help people understand what their legal rights are and get full compensation for any injuries and damages.
According to police reports, common places for pedestrian accidents in Sacramento:
- Del Paso Road between Blackrock Drive and Gateway Park Boulevard
- Lemon Hill Avenue near Wilkinson Street
- 14th Avenue east of Stockton Boulevard
- Norwood Avenue and Las Palmas Avenue
Despite the many laws that promote road safety in California, there are accidents almost every day involving pedestrians.
Studies show that pedestrian deaths have increased since 2005, accounting for 15% of traffic fatalities.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has reported that about three quarters of pedestrian deaths occur at night and most of them are men.
In 2014, there were more than 4,000 pedestrian deaths and more than 65,000 pedestrian injuries reported in the United States.
The statistics are an important reminder that, as with all travel modes, there are also considerable risks associated with walking.
Top Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Sacramento
Some of the most common factors that contribute to driver negligence in pedestrian accidents are:
- Motor vehicles failing to give the right of way to the pedestrians
- Violation of traffic signs or signs
- Wrong turns
- Weather conditions
- Driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol
Pedestrians do also have an obligation to exercise reasonable care for their own safety.
Common Injuries From Pedestrian Accidents
Although most pedestrian injuries in Sacramento occur at the primary point of impact, others occur later and are known as secondary injuries.
The most common pedestrian injuries are:
- Bruises, abrasions, and lacerations
- Fractures: Legs, hands, arms, neck and back
- Head injury: Traumatic brain injuries, open head injury and hemorrhage
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Torn ligaments
- Damaged organs
Contact a Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Sacramento
It is important to choose a Sacramento pedestrian accident lawyer who is familliar with pedestrian accident cases.
The laws that regulate personal injuries are complex.
A lawyer who is experienced in personal injury will have the skill and experience with insurance companies that can help you maximize your compensation.
For the same reasons, it is important to choose an attorney who is experienced and trustworthy.
At Avrek Law Firm, we strive to take care of your case so that you and your family can focus on recovery.
We will complete an in-depth investigation and advise you on the best course of action, whether to make a settlement or pursue a lawsuit.
What’s My Pedestrian Accident Claim Worth?
Whatever the cause of your accident, our pedestrian accident lawyers will investigate your case to determine liability.
And build your best legal case to recover the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
You may be entitled to receive compensation for:
- Medical expenses, both current and future
- Loss of income
- Loss of future earning
- Loss of support from parents or spouse
- Pain and suffering
- And any other compensations allowed under the Californian law
Is a Lawyer Necessary? How Much Does It Cost?
Some pedestrian accident victims think they can resolve their claim directly with the other party’s insurance company and save on legal fees.
An accident lawyer is essential in obtaining the best settlement possible.
When an injured pedestrian is not represented by a qualified pedestrian accident lawyer, the insurance company, will usually lead the victim to believe that they will be treated and compensated in a manner which is fair and adequate.
The reality is that insurance companies, who are in the business of paying as little as possible, often take advantage of the unrepresented party and end up offering them an extremely low amount.
You may not know what type of medical treatment to get, or you may not be able to pay for the medical treatment you need to get for your recovery.
For all these reasons, you need an accident attorney at your side, guiding your case and positioning you in order to get maximum value and fair compensation.
Here at Avrek Law Firm we don’t charge you unless we win your case.
Contact us today.
Pedestrian Accident Checklist – What To Do After An Accident
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident related to a traffic accident in Sacramento, there are several things you should do.
- You must stop if you are involved in a pedestrian accident. Failure to do so could constitute a felony for fleeing.
- If someone needs medical attention call 911 immediately.
- Obtain all the necessary information from the other parties involved in the accident, such as the name, address, telephone number, license number, vehicle license plate numbers, and insurance information of the vehicles involved in the collision.
- Your primary priority should always be the well-being and safety of every person involved in the accident, including yours. So, if you are in a position to do it, the first thing to do is to verify that all the people involved are well.
- Obtain the name and phone number of each witness present at the time of the accident. If possible, interview them with reference to what they saw and heard at the time of the accident.
- Take pictures of the crash site. Nearly all cell phones have built-in cameras. In the event that you do not have a cell phone, ask one, or two, of the witnesses to take pictures with their cell phones and ask them to send the photos to you through a text message or email.
- Refrain from admitting guilt to anyone.
- Avoid talking to other people’s insurance companies or lawyers.
- Protect your rights and immediately call the Avrek Law Firm.