Head on collisions occur all too often and they can be caused by another motorist who is driving distracted or drunk. The injuries sustained from head-on collisions can be catastrophic or fatal, particularly when high speeds or a large, heavy vehicle is involved.
At Avrek Law Firm, serving communities in Irvine and Riverside, our California car accident lawyers can help you or a loved one who was seriously injured in a collision caused by another. We have over 30 years of combined experience and know exactly what it takes to pursue compensation from the responsible party.
You can learn more about your options by taking advantage of our free case review or by calling us at 1-877-959-5556.
Head On Collision Car Accidents in California
Most head-on collisions result from some degree of driver inattention or negligence. More specifically, head-on collisions often occur under the following circumstances:
- A driver passing another vehicle unsafely.
- When a driver enters a curve at too great a speed, it can cause the vehicle to swerve into the oncoming lane.
- Driving while intoxicated
- Debris in the road or coming upon a stopped car unexpectedly can cause a driver to abruptly change lanes.
- Drivers who do not pay attention to signs or traffic signals may find themselves going the wrong way down streets or highways.
- Talking or texting on cell phones, reaching for something in the back seat, changing the radio station, reading maps and other distractions are common reasons for head-on collisions.
- Falling asleep at the wheel.
- Bad weather conditions, such as water in the road, can send a car out of control in a matter of seconds.
Injuries from Head On Collisions
Common mistakes that lead to head-on collisions include driving on the wrong side of the road (often when passing other vehicles), turning right or left into oncoming traffic, or driving the wrong way on a one-way, according to research from the California Department of Motor Vehicles. If the driver and/or passengers are not wearing seat belts, or if no airbags deploy, the injuries from a head-on collision can be severe and are often fatal.
Typical head on collision injuries include:
- Spinal cord injuries – When the spinal cord or nerves are damaged, the result can be full or partial paralysis. These occur more often when seat belts are not worn and the collision causes the person to be thrown from the vehicle.
- Traumatic brain injuries – A head-on collision can easily cause a person’s head to violently strike an object in the vehicle, such as the steering wheel or dashboard. The result can be permanent brain damage.
- Fractures – Broken ribs are common in these accidents, which can cause further damage by puncturing organs, such as the lungs, liver, kidneys, and more. Other bone fractures can certainly occur as well.
- Facial injuries – These are common because of the head hitting objects in the car, windshields, and even airbags.
You or your loved one deserves to be compensated for serious injuries caused by another driver in a head-on collision. Contact us right away by filling out our online form or calling Avrek Law Firm at 1-877-959-5556.