There are many cyclists in Long Beach due to the beautiful weather and many bike paths all over the city.
However, some areas like Long Beach are not always places where vehicles and bikes share the road “in peace”.
Crowded roads and traffic jams can lead to bicycle accidents more often than it should.
Most bicycle accidents are caused by motorists who simply do not see cyclists.
Bicylcle riders at intersections or riding with the “flow of traffic” can be hard to see.
Below we try cover everything a bicyclist needs to know after being injured.
Contact Avrek Law
If you have been injured in a bike accident then don’t waste anymore time.
Avrek Law has over 30 years experience and we’ve recovered over $250 Million for our clients.
The bike accident lawyers here at Avrek will fight for you and make sure you get maximum compensation.
We are here to help so call 866-598-5548 or contact us online 24 hours a day.
Avrek Law Firm
5150 E. PCH Suite 200 A
Long Beach CA, 90804
Hear What Our Clients Have To Say
Top Causes for Bike Accidents
- Turning left: This is often the case in bike and motorcycle accidents. Although Section 21801 (a) of the Vehicle Code indicates that all drivers wishing to make a left turn need to yield the right side of the road to any vehicle that comes in the opposite direction and that they cannot start movement until it is safe to do so, two-wheeled vehicles are often not seen.
- Open door collision: CVC section 22517 says: “No person should open a vehicle door on the side available for traffic unless it is safe to do so.”
- Unexpected turn: Sometimes a four-wheeled vehicle can make an unexpected turn from one road to another without looking if there are cyclists.
- Changing lanes: Cars, trucks and SUVs often try to change lanes or their travel directions and do not see people on bikes whom are behind their rearview mirror.
- Motorists passing bicyclists without enough distance: It is allowed to cycle on most of the surface of streets and highways in Long Beach. The California Vehicle Code encourages cyclists to travel as far as possible on the right side of the traffic flow. The problem comes when cars, trucks, and SUVs get impatient and try to pass cyclists without enough distance.
- Collisions at intersections: Many bicycle accidents occur at and around intersections when the bike attempts to cross. Again, this happens because cars and trucks do not see them.
- Dangerous road conditions: Conditions such as potholes, construction debris, and protruding objects can cause damage.
- Distracted Driving: people using cell phones or eating, etc.
Common Injuries From Bike Accidents
Although the use of helmets and other safety equipment such as lights, flashers, and bright clothing may reduce the chances of a bicycle accident, a bicycle crash usually results in a significant personal injury.
The most common injuries are the following:
- Concussions and closed cranial lesions
- Fractures of arms, legs and ribs
- Spinal injuries including disc hernias
- Contusions and abrasions commonly called “road rash”
- Internal bleeding and damage to vital organs
Any or all of these damages may require the need for extensive trauma care including orthopedic surgeries, treatment, and diagnosis, including CT scans, MRIs, and X-rays.
Long Beach Bike Accident Statistics
The NHTSA offers some great numbers and data on bicycle accidents in Long Beach (and LA county).
- Majority of bicycle accident deaths are from a collision with a car
- 45 % of bike accidents (with a car) occur at intersections
- 20 % of bike accidents involved kids ages 5-15
Hospital Bills For a Bike Accident
If you are hit while riding a bike, chances are that you will suffer severe damage and need medical attention.
In the event you are injured and go to the hospital, make sure you have documentation produced for you that will offer help as your case moves forward.
Always cooperate with law enforcement officers if they ask for a statement at the scene or at the hospital and get a copy of any police report.
This will help your lawyer get the payment of your medical expenses and other damages.
Contact a bike accident attorney
Because cyclists have earned a reputation for behaving “a bit aggressive” on the road.
So it is especially important that you have a top lawyer to help with your case.
Avrek’s personal injury lawyers have successfully represented cyclists who were injured as a result of collisions with motor vehicles.
Other reasons why a bicycle accident may occur are: faulty conditions on runways, defective bicycle parts, and so on.
A Long Beach bicycle accident attorney knows exactly what type of evidence to look for in an investigation, the type of evidence to collect, and how to negotiate with insurance companies.
Also, an experienced lawyer has knowledge of what should be presented in a trial, in case you have to bring your claim to a court.
What’s My Bike Accident Claim Worth?
The claim for a bike accident will be made up of two parts: the claim of material damages, and that of personal injuries.
It’s hard to put a $ figure on a settlement until all the facts have been delivered.
From photos, police reports, and of course witness statements, it can take a while to gather all the evidence.
Avrek Law will help you with your claim in order to maximize the amount of compensation you can get for your injuries.
Am I Entitled to Compensation After a Bike accident in Long Beach?
When you hire the bike accident lawyers at Avrek, you can be confident that you are hiring experienced Long Beach Bicycle Accident attorneys.
Any cyclist involved in an accident as a result of a collision with a motor vehicle could suffer catastrophic and permanent injuries.
Our attorneys have years of experience behind them in handling personal injury cases.
Get compensated for injuries that include the following:
- Future or past medical expenses
- Therapy and rehabilitation
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Loss of wages
- Assistive devices (wheelchairs, hearing aids, visual, etc.) and transport
- Loss of property (damage to the bicycle)
- Pain and suffering
- Mental distress and emotional stress
How Long Do I Have to Take Legal Action?
The time limit (or statue of limitations) is 2 years in California.
The success of the bicycle accident claim will depend on each specific case, hence the importance of looking for a top lawyer, who will guide you from the beginning on the best ways to get your compensation and the steps you need to follow,
The longer you let go without seeking advice, the higher the possibility you can make a bad move that then makes it difficult to manage the case and can jeopardize the outcome.
What To Do After a Bicycle Accident in Long Beach?
A bicycle accident can become one of the most difficult situations in our lives.
This type of unexpected event can happen to any cyclist due to many factors.
That is why it is important to be prepared and know what you can and should do after a bicycle accident.
- After the accident: stay calm
After a bicycle accident, maintaining peace of mind is paramount.
Being impatient or being won over by anxiety does not help solve the most immediate issues; you need to think clearly.
- Find out if there are any injuries
First check if you have any injuries yourself, and then go check if someone else was wounded.
Contact 911 immediately for medical assistance.
- Stay on the scene
This advice may seem obvious, but never leave the scene after a bicycle accident.
If possible, stay until the police and all the parties involved leave.
- Call the authorities
Regardless of the type of accident, always contact the authorities as soon as possible.
Police will initiate an investigation into the incident.
Beyond who has been responsible for the bicycle accident, it is key to have an official report from the authorities because it can be of great help later on.
- Review the situation, take notes and record the damages
Stay alert and take notes about the bicycle accident.
Get the information of the other people involved and try to get any additional data you may need.
Talk to potential witnesses in the area to get their phones, emails, and addresses.
- Consult with a lawyer
An experienced Long Beach bicycle accident attorney knows the rules and regulations that can be tricky when filing claims with insurance companies.