Dealing with a bus company and insurance companies can be traumatic, especially if you just had an accident and are trying to recover from your injuries.
Experienced San Diego bus accident lawyers at the Avrek Law Firm have an extensive and successful track record of representing injured clients and helping them recover the maximum compensation for their losses.
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), there were approximately 11,000 injuries involving buses across the country in 2008.
In those accidents, approximately 24,000 people were injured.
This means that for every 100 million miles driven by buses that year, 343 people were injured.
According to the California Highway Patrol’s all-state Integrated System Traffic Records (SWITRS), there were 27 other fatal crashes involving buses and 1,328 non-fatal bus crashes in the 2010.
In bus accident cases, crucial evidence needs to be obtained, such as records of service hours, maintenance records, and cell phone records to help demonstrate guilt and responsibility.
We will put our decades of experience, skill, and expertise from our San Diego injury lawyers at your disposal.
According to police reports, the most common places for bus accidents in San Diego are the following:
- Interstate 8 to state Route 125
- Interstate 805
- La Mesa Freeway
Top Causes of Bus Accidents in San Diego
There are many different circumstances that can lead to a bus accident in San Diego.
These include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Negligence of the bus driver
- Lack of bus maintenance
- The bus has old/obsolete equipment
- Lack of proper bus driver training
- Brake failure
- Adverse weather conditions
- The bus does not meet safety standards
Common Injuries From Bus Accidents
There are several types of injuries that can be sustained during a bus accident.
Your personal injury lawyer at the Avrek Law Firm can help you evaluate your claim.
The injuries that we see the most are:
- Amputation and loss of limbs
- Spine injuries
- Head injuries and brain damage
- Back and neck injuries
- Injuries to the joints and bones
- Cervical injuries
- Permanent disability
- Wrongful death
Contact a Bus Accident Attorney
With experience in collecting, analyzing, and presenting solid evidence, our personal injury lawyers will help you prepare your claim.
Avrek Law will make sure all the proper steps are taken.
- Collection and review of accident reports
- Collection and review of police records
- Analysis of witness testimony and contact with key witnesses
- Analysis of the scene of the accident
- Damage analysis and accident scene documentation
- Review of medical reports of injuries
- Contact with insurance companies on behalf of your case
You can call directly to our offices or contact us on our website to arrange an appointment to talk to our team about your injuries.
In the event that you cannot visit our offices because of your injuries, we will come to see you in San Diego.
If you are anywhere else in the country, we can work with you by phone, fax, email,etc.
You only pay a fee if we get your compensation.
Avrek Law firm is here to guide you through the process of getting the justice you and your loved ones deserve.
What Is My Bus Accident Claim Worth?
When you suffer a serious bus accident in San Diego, you can be affected on several levels ranging from physical damage, disability and loss of salaries, to damages resulting from the destruction of property.
Some examples of damages, also known as economic damages, for which your lawyer may seek compensation are:
- Current and ongoing medical expenses including hospitalization, surgical procedures, doctor visits, emergency room visits, medications, and assistive devices.
- Wages lost as a result of the recovery and the time elapsed between the injury and the conclusion of the lawsuit.
- Loss of ability to generate income, when the consequences of an accident adversely affect the potential of the victim to earn a living.
The most difficult to determine are the non-economic losses incurred in during a bus accident which often include the following:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional distress
- Loss of marital or consortium benefits as a result of the accident
- In the case of an accused who has operated under malicious intent, punitive damages can be administered as a form of punishment as well
How Long Do I Have To Take Legal Action?
This can be a delicate situation.
It is essential to determine the potential defendants to ensure the protection of all the statutes.
However, a person typically has a two-year time limit for filing a lawsuit following a California bus accident.
Types of Bus Accidents
A bus is defined as commercial vehicle with capacity to carry more than 10 passengers.
The Avrek Law Firm team has experience in representing clients who have suffered injuries in bus-related accidents in San Diego.
Typical bus accidents include the following:
- Tourist bus accidents
- School bus accidents
- Urban or municipal bus accidents
- Intercity or inter-state bus accidents
- Rented bus accidents
- Limousine service accidents
- Holiday bus accidents
- Private bus accidents
- Public bus accidents
Bus Accident Checklist – What To Do After An Accident
If you or a loved one has been in a bus accident in San Diego, we recommend that you follow these steps:
- Seek medical attention if need be
- Collect as much information as you can about the accident, witnesses, etc.
- Contact a bus accident lawyer
- Get a copy of the police report
If you have any questions about any of these recommendations, please do not hesitate to contact us.
We can guide you in the best way to address each of the steps mentioned above.