Going out on the busy Pasadena streets does not seem like a dangerous act by itself, but even when respecting traffic rules, pedestrian accidents are a very serious reality.
When a pedestrian is hit by a vehicle, even at low speeds it can cause significant injuries.
Unfortunately, statistics show that children and the elderly are the most vulnerable when it comes to pedestrian accidents.
Lawyers from Avrek Law Firm have seen firsthand how pedestrian accidents can be devastating to the victims and their families.
Here at Avrek Law we will fight aggressively on behalf of our clients to get maximum compensation for the physical and emotional damage of such a serious accident.
A research by the CDC or Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 2013 found that there were 4,735 deaths from pedestrian accidents and a NHTSA report shows that by 2015 the number increased to 4,884 deaths, just in the state of California.
According to police reports, some of the most dangerous places for pedestrians in Pasadena are the following:
- Corner of Jana and Red Bluff
- El Molino Avenue
- Orange Grove Boulevard
Top Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Pasadena
Here are some factors that can cause a pedestrian accident:
- Cars not stopping at the pedestrian crossing or at a stop sign.
- Drivers who pass school buses at full speed or drive at high speeds in school zones or neighborhood areas.
- Cars that do not stop when the light is red.
- Drivers who do not provide enough space for pedestrians on narrow roads.
- Imprudence of pedestrians (the second leading cause of death due to traffic accidents).
- Alcohol consumption by pedestrians and drivers (another common cause of death in traffic accidents).
Not all pedestrian accidents in Pasadena are due to a collision accident.
There are other circumstances, such as:
- When a pedestrian crosses the street outside pedestrian traffic lanes, like parking lots or near entrances, on corners, on platforms, etc.
- Struck by debris falling from vehicles
- Struck by reckless cyclists
Common Injuries From Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accident injuries commonly include the following:
- Brain injury
- Head injuries
- Neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injury
If you or a loved one is hurt in a pedestrian accident in Pasadena, your claim must be reviewed immediately by an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer.
What is My Pedestrian Accident Claim Worth?
Here are some of the key factors that will influence how much you can expect to receive in your pedestrian accident claim:
- The severity of your injuries – “strong” injuries tend to obtain larger settlements.
- The amount of time you have lost on the job – the loss of income is refundable.
- The nature and scope of your medical treatment – treatments by other non-medical experts, such as chiropractors and acupuncturists, have less weight.
- The impact of your injuries on your daily life and routine – compensation for pain and suffering is difficult to negotiate.
- Your prospects for a full recovery – if you suffer long-term, or a serious, permanent injury, the compensation value goes up very quickly.
- The presence or absence of clear fault for the accident – more often than not, the driver is clearly responsible for a pedestrian accident.
- Any impact your injuries may have on your ability to earn a living in the future – when an injury prevents you from working at the same level, profession, or at all, the law requires you to be compensated for that loss of future income.
How Long Do I Have To Take Legal Action?
In Pasadena, the Californian statute of limitations gives an injured person a period of two years since the injuries suffered in an accident.
It is very important that if you are in the situation of having been injured in an accident to take into account that two-year period.
The California statute of limitations in case of personal injury is found in the California Civil Procedure Code, section 335.1
Is a Lawyer Necessary and How Much Does It Cost?
Often, the victim of a pedestrian accident thinks that they can make their claim on their own and negotiate directly with the insurance company of the other party.
Most people who do that end up regretting having done so, because they then realize that their case had a higher value.
Contact Avrek Law now for a FREE consultation.
People who did not study laws are usually not trained in road traffic laws and are unaware of the tactics that insurance company adjusters use.
Insurance companies, who are in the business of paying as little as possible, often take advantage of the unknowing victims without an attorney and offer them an extremely low amount.
Neither sign any document, nor let them see your medical documents.
If you provide them with a signed medical authorization or a recorded statement, you may be waiving certain benefits of compensation.
Avrek Law firm only gets paid when we win your case. If we don’t get you compensation then we don’t get paid.
7 Steps To Follow Immediately After a Pedestrian Accident in Pasadena
- Call the police and make sure an ambulance is sent to the scene of the accident.
- Get immediate medical attention for the early care of the injuries sustained in the accident (allow paramedics to transport the injured to the hospital for their respective care and treatment).
- Do not admit anything to anyone without first contacting our attorneys.
- Exchange identification and insurance information with all parties involved in the accident.
- Do not speak directly with insurance adjusters or lawyers about the facts of the case without first consulting with your own attorney.
- Take photos of the scene of the accident, the vehicles, and the injuries suffered in the pedestrian accident.
- Do not sign any form of medical release without first talking to your lawyer.