Foot, knee, and ankle injuries are very common in car accidents. A study published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) concluded that serious or severe injuries to the lower extremities are the second most frequently occurring injuries for passenger car occupants, with the first being serious or severe thoracic (upper back) injuries. Painful injuries to the knees, ankles, and feet can occur when the lower extremities absorb the force of impact in a collision, or when they are twisted or crushed in an accident.
Types of Auto Accidents that Cause Foot, Knee & Ankle Injuries
Moderate to serious foot and ankle injuries are caused in the following proportions by these types of accidents:
According to PubMed, the rate of moderate to serious foot and ankle injury is 24.7 for every 1,000 vehicle occupants injured in all crash locations. Ankle fractures and sprains each occur at the rate of 3.7 per 1,000 injuries.
Types of Foot, Knee & Ankle Injuries Caused by Car Accidents
The NHTSA study found that fractures are the most common serious injury to the lower extremities in car accidents. It found that most foot-ankle injuries are related to the floor and foot controls. When the foot is squeezed in the pedals or in the folds of the floor during a collision, dislocation of the foot and metatarsal (foot bone) fractures may result. Types of injuries to the ankles, knees, and feet suffered in auto accidents include the following:
- Strains and sprains – Painful stretching or damage to the muscles, tendons, or ligaments can easily occur in traffic crashes.
- Fractures – Broken tibia (shinbone), fibula (lower leg bone), talus (ankle bone) and fractured kneecaps are common in car accidents.
- Meniscus tears – Meniscus, or cartilage in the knee, can tear when the knee is twisted or bent into an unnatural position during a collision.
- ACL or MCL tears – ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) and MCL (medial collateral ligament) are ligaments found in the knee that can be sprained or torn during a traffic crash.
Recovering Compensation for Knee, Ankle & Foot Injuries
At Avrek Law Firm, we have dedicated our law practice to assisting those who have been injured by filing an insurance claim or lawsuit to recover damages. Our seasoned car accident lawyers can help you pursue compensation for your injuries if your accident was caused by someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing.
Our firm has a successful track record, having recovered tens of millions of dollars for our clients. Our attorneys’ skills and achievements have been recognized through membership in the Million Dollar Advocates Forum®, the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum® and the National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40.
We will review your case at no charge and with no obligation. Call our office or use our online form to schedule your free initial consultation. When you work with our firm, you can rest assured that we know what it takes to get top results and we will work tirelessly on your behalf.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: Lower Extremity Injuries in Automobile Crashes
- S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Pub Med: Foot-ankle injuries: influence of crash location, seating position, and age http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8899042